- 2 cups large chopped unpeeled Persian cucumbers, about 3-4
- ½ small red onion, cut into chunks*
- 4 large (about 2 ½ - 2 ¾ pounds) ripe tomatoes, cored and cut in half crosswise to remove the seeds, cut into chunks
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup unrefined, cold pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, cubed
Place the cucumber in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer the cucumber to a large bowl. Repeat the process with the red onion and transfer to the bowl with the cucumber.
Take half of the tomato and pulse in the food processor until chunky and add to the bowl.
Smash the garlic cloves and place in the food processor with the remaining tomato pieces, salt and pepper, vinegar and oil. Process until smooth.
Transfer mixture to the bowl with the cucumber and onion and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
Before serving, garnish with avocado. Can be made several days ahead.
You can add finely diced radish for pepperiness; hot sauce or jalapeño for heat, croutons for crunch, or a dollop of sour cream. You can also use yellow heirloom tomatoes for a yellow gazpacho.
*Onion can be soaked in ice water for 15 minutes to take the edge off the raw flavor.